Princeton Weekly Bulletin October 23, 2006, Vol. 96, No. 7 prev next current
- Page One
- • Researchers seek to incorporate street psychology into economics
- • Massey’s mentorship creates network of mathematicians
- • Elizabeth Harman joins father on the philosophy faculty
- • Spotlight, briefs, staff retirements, staff obituaries
- • Calendar of events
- • Nassau Notes
- • By the numbers
- The Bulletin is published weekly during the academic year, except during University breaks and exam weeks, by the Office of Communications. Second class postage paid at Princeton. Postmaster: Send address changes to Princeton Weekly Bulletin, Office of Communications, Princeton University, 22 Chambers St., Suite 201, Princeton, NJ 08542. Permission is given to adapt, reprint or excerpt material from the Bulletin for use in other media.
- Subscriptions. The Bulletin is distributed free to faculty, staff and students. Others may subscribe to the Bulletin for $30 for the 2006-07 academic year (half price for current Princeton parents and people over 65). Send a check to Office of Communications, Princeton University, 22 Chambers St., Suite 201, Princeton, NJ 08542.
Deadlines. In general, the copy deadline for each issue is the Friday 10 days in
advance of the Monday cover date. The deadline for the Bulletin that covers
Nov. 6-12 is Friday, Oct. 27. A complete publication schedule is available at www.princeton.edu/ pr/ pwb/ deadlines.html; or by calling (609) 258-3601.
- Editor: Ruth Stevens Calendar editor: Carolyn Geller Staff writers: Jennifer Greenstein Altmann, Eric Quiñones Contributing writers: Chad Boutin, Teresa Riordan Photographers: Denise Applewhite, John Jameson Design: Maggie Westergaard Web edition: Mahlon Lovett
Researchers seek to incorporate street psychology into economics
Adjusting his laptop, Eldar Shafir punches up a table of figures that represents the financial decisions of lower-income families in Trenton — a dozen miles down the road from his Princeton psychology lab, but a world apart in economic terms. “Look at how much extra people will pay just to cash a check someplace friendly,” he says. ...
Massey’s mentorship creates network of mathematicians
In decades of mentoring minority and women mathematicians, engineering professor William Massey has done more than foster a new, more diverse generation of mathematical scholars. He has created a community of colleagues who support and inspire each other’s research, including Massey’s own.
Community and Staff Day 2006
Residents of the campus and local communities turned out on a crisp fall evening Oct. 13 for Community and Staff Day at Princeton Stadium. The annual celebration of sports, entertainment and community service featured activities for all ages and interests...
Elizabeth Harman joins father on the philosophy faculty
As a child, Elizabeth Harman played in the hallways of 1879 Hall, home of the philosophy department, and wandered through the crowds gathered for receptions in the hall’s fabled Tower Room. These days when she strides through the building, it is as one of the department’s newest faculty members.
Family of cartoonist Darrow donates collection
The family of Whitney Darrow Jr., a 1931 Princeton alumnus and longtime cartoonist for The New Yorker magazine, has donated a collection of more than 1,000 of Darrow’s original drawings to the Princeton University Library.