Maxwell served 37 years in engineering
Princeton NJ -- Bryce Maxwell, a Princeton graduate who
returned to the University to serve many years as a faculty
member in engineering, died Oct. 24 in Hightstown. He was
Maxwell earned his bachelor's degree in engineering from
the University in 1943. After serving in the Navy during
World War II, he came back to campus to earn a master's
degree in engineering in 1948. He joined the mechanical
engineering faculty as a research associate that same
In 1965, Maxwell switched his interests to chemical
engineering and was named a full professor the following
year. He chaired the department's polymer materials program
from 1968 until he was granted emeritus status in 1985. He
served as assistant dean of the School of Engineering and
Applied Science from 1962 to 1966.
Maxwell consulted with several chemical companies and
held more than 30 patents. He was a member of the board of
directors of U.S. Rubber Reclaiming. The author of more than
100 articles for professional journals, he served on the
editorial advisory boards of the Journal of Polymer Science
and of Polymer Science and Engineering.
Maxwell was a member of the National Society of Plastics
Engineers and received its Gold Medal and International
Award in Plastics Science and Engineering in 1976. He was
named a fellow in the society in 1992. He also served as a
trustee of the Plastics Institute of America.
After he retired, Maxwell enjoyed painting and playing
croquet. He also consulted and occasionally presented
Survivors include his sons Bryce Jr. of Langhorne, Pa.,
and Stephen of South Brunswick; and his daughter Margaret of
Leesburg, Va. In lieu of flowers, memorial contributions may
be made to the Woods Services Foundation, P.O. Box 36,
Langhorne, PA 19047.